- Clerical abuse
- Conservative critics of the EF
- Correctio Filialis
- FIUV Position Papers
- Historical and Liturgical Issues
- Liberal critics of the EF
- Marriage & Divorce
- Pope Francis
- Reform of the Reform
- Young people
Tuesday, June 21, 2011
Pilgimage to Stonor
On Trinity Sunday the Latin Mass Society's first pilgrimage to Stonor took place. With the kind permission of Thomas, Lord Camoys, Fr John Osman celebrated Mass in the medieval chapel, attached to this great house where the lamp of the Catholic faith was never extinguished, even in the darkest days of the persecution.(This photo is from here.)
(This photo is from the Stonor website.) The altar of Egyptian marble was given to the chapel in 1797.
Although dating back to the 13th Century the interior was remodelled in the 18th Century in the 'Strawbery Hill Gothick' style, the style of two other Recusant Catholic chapels where the LMS regularly has Masses in Oxfordshire: Milton Manor and Mapledurham. Those two chapels have essentially flat ceilings, and it is interesting to see the 'gothic effect' plaster panels superimposed on a genuine Gothic ceiling. This decoration dates from 1759, with additions in 1797.
The chapel is dedicated to the Holy Trinity, so this was its patronal feast. Fr Osman preached movingly on the fidelity of the Stonor family to the faith in the time of St Edmund Campion and later. St Edmund's book criticising Anglicanism, 'Decem Rationes', was printed in secret at Stonor, and it was a refuge for many priests.
The Mass was accompanied with chant by the Schola Abelis.